Welcome to our blog!

Welcome to our blog!

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Business of Being Born

I just watched this last night for the first time after hearing about it for months. I was so impressed! I had had the impression that it was pretty censored for a more mainstream audience and that Ricki Lake hadn't really taken any big risks in discussing what is going on in this country in terms of birth. But no, it was a lot more honest than I thought!

I was really inspired by the the homebirth scenes because they were such amazing and beautiful experiences. It is such a clear contrast to what goes on at most hospitals. Having had the experience of a home and hospital birth myself, I feel that the movie portrayed this difference really well. Even though I transferred in an emergency situation for the birth of Patrick, my first thought as I was wheeled through the hospital doors was, "thank god I decided to birth at home." Seriously, it was my very first thought. I was very grateful to have the hospital available to me, but very thankful that I was aware of my other options.

I like how Lake focused on informed consent and the lack of it at most OB/GYN's offices and hospitals. I just think it's so important that women understand very clearly the impact of each and every potential hospital intervention. I have seen so often doctors/nurses completely blow off any concerns expressed by the patient. "Oh yes, this is a routine procedure and very safe. it won't harm your baby." Oh really, how do you know? What if I showed you some of my own research that clearly indicates that each intervention causes a potential cascade of interventions. Do we really understand the long term impact of these drugs/procedures on the physical and emotional development of the child?

I also liked that she discussed the potential harmful effects of the difficulties in bonding and creating attachment with our babies due to the drugs and procedures used at most births. It was so very clear how completely in love and bonded the women were w/ their babies that had home births. It was so beautiful to see. But as one of the doctors asks, what are the consequences to our world of whole generations of babies and moms not bonding in the way nature intended?

This is what people should be learning in schools! We blindly accept what the media, corporate america, and doctors portray as normal birth so when it comes time to birth ourselves, we don't question the program. I love the scene where Lake asks doctors if they have ever witnessed a natural birth before. No. For all that condemn home birth, have they ever been present at one?

I feel this is such an important social and spiritual issue. It's a feminist issue. Our rights to know about the possibility of a natural birth have been taken away from us. As women we don't even comprehend what we have lost here. Birthing is one of the most empowering things a woman can do and allowing women who want to, to birth naturally would change the world.

No comments: