Welcome to our blog!

Welcome to our blog!

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Harvest Time





I am starting to love this time of year! It used to be a sad time--returning to school and the weather getting colder--but now I am truly appreciating the abundance of nourishing foods and welcoming the slower pace that fall and winter bring.

I just had to take some photos of the vegetables we harvested from our garden and purchased at the farmer's market. Gorgeous! I have been busy preserving by fermenting and freezing veggies. This year I have my freezer loaded with frozen peaches, onions, peppers, and tomatoes. We also bought a 1/4 cow from a local farm . We will save squashes in the basement and store "keeper" apples in our garage. I have made a bunch of apple cider and will also dehydrate apples as well. We also signed up for a winter share CSA from and picked up our first veggies last thursday. This CSA will last through the end of Decemeber.

I am really trying to eat locally as much as possible which means eating with the seasons. It feels really good to do this! My kids understand where their food comes from and at what time of the year foods are harvested. I am not sure what we will do January-June, but we will figure it out! Actually, another farm grows greens in the winter in their greenhouse so I think we will be all set with veggies-- It might not be eating with the seasons, but it's local and it's nice to have some fresh vegetables every once in a while.

No comments: