Welcome to our blog!

Welcome to our blog!

Saturday, January 10, 2009

My lesson planning

I have to share this exciting book! I have been reading Amanda Soule's book, "The Creative Family" for the past week or so and just love it! It truly has inspired me. I told my friend jokingly that I would be implementing every one of her ideas, and in just a short time, I really have used a lot of them and prepared for most of them!

I would say her book is very Waldorf inspired in that the focus is on natural living incorporating crafts, emphasis on creating activities using the 5 senses for younger children, and gentle parenting. I felt very inept in the craft arena before, but now I feel like I can actually learn to knit, sew, embroider, paint, draw--anything!--doing the basic activities she outlines in the book. I am excited to try these activities with our family. I sense that these projects will really help to ignite my creativity, a part of my life that I have ignored lately.

One of our first activities from the book was making sewing cards. They were a big hit! We drew a soccer ball and a football on poster board, punched holes on the outline, and sewed away using embroidery thread. I was a bit surprised because it is a sedentary activity, but the boys really liked it. I am looking forward to trying some of her suggested beginning sewing projects with the boys.

Based on Amanda's suggestions, I also put together an art bag for all of us which includes a small sketch book, colored pencils, markers, and pencil sharpener. I thought the idea of having this bag accessible at home or out in nature sounded like a great idea for the boys. I wasn't so sure about sketching myself, but surprisingly, i really like it. I thought I had absolutely no interest in drawing, but it's been really fun. The boys have also really enjoyed it even though they haven't showed much interest in drawing in the past. I think they really liked the idea of having their own bag and supplies which made the activity more special for them.

So I am well prepared with loads of fun and creative activities for the rest of the winter! Our house is now super organized with so many different types of toys and crafts easily accessible for the boys and myself. I look forward to the possibilities and am so thankful for this book.

4 comments:

Hannah Eye said...

How did you do that so fast!? I'm jealous. Why don't you fly here and Soule-ize my home? You could become a consultant.

Unknown said...

I'd go for that too ... I certainly need help in that arena!

Lisa said...

what a great idea--soule-izing someone's home! i could do that and go through their pantries!

deskryptic said...

Hi. Happy to find you online--happy to find like-minded familias!!
Just signed up for blue skies group you recommended (internet's been out since I saw you). Hope we can get together again soon. maybe we should have an art date...or if it's nice again later in the week, another hike would be mah-velous. Peace--
Michelle (Olmeca, Azure & Akasha's mama:))